At the end of August I ordered the very first My Little Workshop from Woodland Children. They do a My Little Atelier box for older children, but decided to see if there was any interest in one for younger children. I always want to do crafty seasonal activities with Miss E, but I just never get the time to sit and plan, purchase all the materials etc. So the My Little Workshop sounded like a great idea. You get all the materials needed(when i say all i mean all, if something requires a paintbrush or glue and a spreader you get it in the box) along with a little booklet of activities to make and other suggestions to do as well. There were also some added extras including play dough and water beads which I have always wanted to try, and now we get the chance to use them. It was a little bit slow of coming due to waiting for stock to arrive etc, but it finally arrived a few weeks ago.
nice little extra touches
supplies for lots of lovely crafts
Here are some of the crafts we have done so far:
sponge leaf printing
leaf sun catchers
felt leaf sticker
These are just a few things that came in the box, and we still have so much left to do. The whole thing cost £30 which seeing as we’ve had it a few weeks and there are still so many activities we haven’t even got to yet is well worth the money. If you live in the UK and, like me, want to do crafts with your toddlers, but find it hard to put ideas together, I’d encourage you to give the My Little Workshop box a try.
*This is my own opinion and I am receiving no form of reward for writing this. I paid for this box myself, and Woodland Children are unaware that I have written this piece.*
Well, folks, the moment has arrived when Miss E’s blanket finally came to an end…all but weaving in the final ends. I finished it on Wednesday evening. And here are the final results:
So there it is! All finished and ready to keep a special little girl warm on wintry nights. Have you been creating recently? Please share your makes; I would love to see them.
Two months ago exactly today I started a blanket for Miss E. Well, I am pleased to say that 48 granny squares later I am over half way through joining it all together! Then I just need to trim it and it will be done. It took a lot longer than I expected as, being the first project of this nature, I underestimated the amount of yarn I needed and I either didn’t have the funds or the time to go and get any more and also Miss E was a bit grizzly with teeth so I didn’t get as many squares done per day as I had originally hope. So I probably had about 4 weeks in the middle where nothing was done on the blanket at all. The blanket has evolved somewhat since I first started it. At the beginning all the squares were going to be like the original post and then invert the colours for half of them as well. As I got near the end of my first 24 squares half starting with brown half starting with pink I mused over the idea of doing solid squares of blue, pink and green. I decided I’d start and see how it looked. I then decided I wanted all the squares to have a purple border, so I discovered how to join as you go and have been doing that to put the whole thing together. So this is how it’s looking to date.
The colours from the blind I was trying to tone the blanket colours in with
48 square stack
starting to look more like a blanket
Just love seeing it all come together
It’s filled with mistakes and I’ve had to fix bits as I went along. It’s nowhere near perfect, but it’s being made with a lot of love for a special little girl and that’s all that matters to me. 🙂
Miss E is getting a blind in her room tomorrow. Her curtains are very light and, with the summer approaching, she has been struggling to sleep in an evening with light, so we have been pinning dark towels and bedsheets onto her curtain rail to keep the daylight out…classy huh? 😉 Her room so far has been quite neutral as we didn’t find out if we were having a girl or boy til the minute she was born. Now it’s time to add a little girly touch to the room starting with her blind. I decided I would make her a throw for her bed as well. Mr P took me to a yarn and material shop near us on Saturday, and I picked up some King Cole Baby Comfort DK yarn. I got home and found a youtube clip on how to crochet a granny square (that’s right folks, I have never in my life made a blanket before!). So far I have 7 squares completed. My plan is to join them all with lilac (I decided this after having been to the yarn store, so that will require a trip back) and then trim the entire thing with a cream edging. Hopefully it works! Thank goodness for youtube tutorials!! 🙂
I seem to be getting the squares together quite quickly now I have got the pattern into my head, so hopefully it won’t be too long before I can photograph the finished piece.